Jon Schewe wrote:

> Got a problem that I'm hoping someone here can solve.
>
> First some background.  I've got 3 machines here, disk, sun3-50 and eggplant.
> disk is my fileserver/boot server, eggplant is a workstation that has all my X
> applications and sun3-50 is a sun 3/50 that netboots off of disk.
>
> Now here's the problem.  I have an xterm open on sun3-50, the prompt is on
> disk since that's where it booted from.  I ssh to eggplant then run gnuclient
> so that I can connect to the XEmacs session running on eggplant.  I promptly
> get an error that the connection was rejected due to an authentication error
> and my XEmacs session on eggplant get terminated too.  My display variable is
> set correctly on all machines and I can start up rxvt just fine from
> eggplant.  This is only with XEmacs.  Any ideas?

Well, I don't know boo-ya about ssh, but I've had similar problems with
network X sessions.
First, since you don't explicitly mention it, did you add eggplant to
sun3-50's allowed xhosts?
The way I like to do it is to add, for your example, 'xhost
+eggplant.mtu.net' to your .xinitrc
on sun3-50.  If you don't do this, you'll get connection failures.
Also, your sentence seems
to be saying that you're diverting a /running/ XEmacs session to
sun3-50, which I have never tried;
if instead you're starting an XEMacs session on eggplant and it's dying
right away, this would be
explained by the lack of X permissions, as XEMacs doesn't like not being
able to init a display. :)

Another thing you might try is making sure that the user doing all this
has a valid .Xauthority (or
is it .XAuthority?  Damn case-sensitive filesystems...) -- the only way
I know of to do this is to
see if the user has one.  If not, start an X session locally. If they
do, delete it and start an X
session locally, as it may have become corrupt (this has happened to me;
the error messages contain the string 'XMIT-MAGIC-COOKIE'.)

That's all the advice I can give.  'Tain't much, I know, but hopefully
it's helpful.
--
<------------------------Chris H. Bidler, Internet Helper Monkey------------------------->
The drive banged 3-4 times the head against its endrun, maybe to BE SURE