Debian gurus:

Wonder if I've corrupted one of my Debian installations somehow.

On an 'apt-get dist-upgrade', or sometimes on an 'install' I get a lot
of http 404 errors.  (I'm on 'frozen' release.)  If I browse to the
site, I see that the package is there, but it has a different version
number.  I don't grok the apt system, but it seems that something is out
of sync somehow.  I've done all the apt-get stuff I can think of:
update, upgrade, check, clean, and nothing seems to work.

I have another machine on which this one is based on that all this works
fine.  A few days ago I accidently messed up my /var partition.  I
restored it from a backup, but some of the file/dir permissions were
wierd, and there could possibly be files missing.  This is the only
thing I can think of that may be connected to the current problems.

Any fix?  I suppose I'll bite the bullet pretty soon here and just
reinstall the system, since its possably corrupted.

Here's an example of the apt-get problems (the --fix-missing tip at the
bottem didn't help):

xi:/usr/src# apt-get install smbfs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  samba-common
  samba-common smbfs
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 33 not upgraded.

Need to get 920kB of archives. After unpacking 4116kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Err http://http.us.debian.org frozen/main samba-common 2.0.7-2
  404 Not Found
Err http://http.us.debian.org frozen/main smbfs 2.0.7-2
  404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/net/samba-common_2.0.7-2.deb

  404 Not Found
Failed to fetch
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/otherosfs/smbfs_2.0.7-2.deb

  404 Not Found
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe try with --fix-missing?
xi:/usr/src#