I've used cups, from what i've seen, it's kinda broken, beta, and has very
little printer support.  and printer support beond HP deskjet/laserjet is
commercial binaries only. (right now)  it's a case of a company "we'll
write the print system, and make it free, but you'll have to shell out to
actualy get your printer to work"
I like LPRng the most out of all the print spoolers out there, and the
debian guys have done a good job of porting redhat printtool and filters
to debian.. and it works perfectly with LPRng AND lpr.  <rumor> redhat
will be using lprng in the future </rumor>

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)