Yogesh Sharma said:
> For outgoing email I am using smtp services provided by my ISP. Instead of
> using ISP servies, is it possibel that I can use my PC as SMTP server, which
> will send / transfer all my email to the desired location.
>
> Is it possible ?

Very possible.  Remember:  Most ISPs run *nix servers.  Linux runs most (if
not all) popular *nix software.  Therefore, you can probably run whatever
your ISP is using (unless they're running NT servers).

> Which software is good ?

sendmail is the most common MTA out there, but notoriously complex to
configure and secure.  qmail is probably the next most popular, but that's
about as much as I know about it.

Then there's exim, which is what I run.  IIRC, it's Debian's default
MTA. Either way, their configuration script for it (eximconfig) is pretty
good - you'll definitely want to tweak the generated config file by hand
(if for no other reason that, unless you have your own domain name, the
generated config will consider all of your ISP's users to be local to your
machine), but it's chock full of good comments which should be sufficient
documentation for whatever you need to do.

exim also has built-in support for the RBL (useful for filtering spammers)
and smarthosts (so that people using the RBL or DUL won't assume that you're
one of the spammers they want to filter).

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+