Anyone know how to break into an SVR4 system, where I have console access?

I just got ahold of 1992 NCR System 3400. it's a 486DX/50, with 64MB of RAM.
the case is built like a bank vault. must weigh about 100lbs. no flimsy
metal here; the frame is probably 14-gauge steel, the base is a block of
cast steel (no flimsy plastic feet!), and the cover is on roller bearings,
just like your desk drawers. it's microchannel, and has a 10base-T ethernet
board and (I think) 2 16-port serial boards (which I don't have cables for).
also has a QIC tape drive of some sort, and 2 SCSI drives (one 5.25" full
height, the other a 3.5" HH).

I've got it up & running; the dmesg wasn't very helpful.

as I understand it, these things were orginally designed by AT&T (NCR is an
AT&T company, according to the label on this thing) as telephony servers.
they do build those things ruggedly. :)

this thing is seriously geeky-cool. :)

it's running NCR UNIX, which is honest-to-God SVR4, as I understand it.
only problem is, I have no idea what usernames/passwords are on this thing.
so I need to break in somehow. :)

what occurs to me is to make some sort of boot disk (which would need to
support microchannel, and whatever the SCSI adapter is, and UFS, I think),
and hack /etc/passwd; but I don't even know if this is possible.

the other possibility is to pull out the disks, and mount them on some other
box (it's just regular narrow SCSI, AFAIK), then hack up /etc/passwd.

I really don't want to blow away the OS, at least not before looking around.
especially since this may have the only handy device drivers for itself.
:)

I know Tom Cross in St.Cloud has a similar model. Tom, what can you tell us
about these monstrosities? :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer