I hate to even think about throwing out a little flame bait but...

We have a pretty "mixed-bag" environment here (you could call it a
'heterogenius network', MacOS, Linux, Win98, Win2KPro) and after searching
for a long time (over 12 months), we started with a Mac Fileserver running
AppleShareIP, which worked pretty good and played nice with the PCs but
not so great with Linux.  We recently updated to a Win2K server...I have
to admit, I was more than hesitant, but the integration of all the flavors
of OSs was pretty seemless.  The Mac FileShare being built in, and it
appears as an SMB-mountable share to Linux.  We were able to use a
"competitive upgrade license" because of an old version of Novell someone
here owned, 10 user was about 5 bills.  I'm running the Win2K on a P-200
with 128 Mb ram, the GUI could be faster but it actually performs as good
as the G3 we had before for a fileserver.

I know you were looking for an open-source solution, but I wanted to
throw out my 2c worth.  It really does get tough to find good, solid
solutions that play nice with everything...

Comments?

MK