On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 11:57:46PM -0600, Jon Schewe wrote:
> Currently I use eggplant.mtu.net as my mail server.  However sometimes my
> machine is down and I'd like to keep mail from bouncing.  So I'd like to setup
> things such that if my machine is down then mail goes to another host,
> probably mtu.net, and gets queued up there until eggplant.mtu.net comes back
> up then delivers the mail.  Both machines are running some flavor of Unix,
> right now one is OpenBSD and one is Linux.
>
> Pointers to documentation to read is very helpful.  I've got a few days of
> vacataion to use for this :)

Check out the DNS HOWTO.  Specifically, you want to add an MX record to your
zone file (or convince whoever maintains your DNS records to do it for you).
The other host's MTA will also need to be configured to perform relaying for
eggplant.  (Many mail servers are set to relay for anyone that lists them in
an MX record, but I wouldn't assume any server to use that setting without
checking first.)

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r y+