I just bought a new Dell and it came with a Turtle Beach Sante Cruz sound card, a Altec Lansing ADA885 5 peice speaker system, and an unsatisfactory amount of documentation.  I'm not sure how the sound system works or how to configure it to get the most out of it.  Both the card and the speakers can be configured to run in several modes.  The card has the modes 2 Speaker, 4 Speaker, 6 Speaker, Digital 4.1 and some others.  The speakers have the modes Stereo, StereoX2, ProLogic, Quad, and Dolby Digital.  What first confuses me about this is the fact that both the card AND and speakers have modes.  What's up with that?  Isn't it redundant?  The second thing that confuses me are the digital modes.  It appears that the speakers have their own digital-to-analog converter, because they can apparently decode a digital signal and play it.  Isn't that redundant with the digital-to-analog converter on the sound card?  If I choose Digital 4.1 on my sound card, am I basically bypassing the card and piping the signal directly to the speakers for decoding?

Mike Bresnahan