The cable companies are working on the static IP part of the business.  The
problem is, they're still building their network.  When it's all said and done,
2002 - 2003-ish, they'll have a better network than the telco's, to a certain
extent.  As of now, there is no other option than xDSL, ISDN, or one of the big
boys (T1, etc)

Hope this helps,

Eric