Hi

I've been trapsing around the redhat site searching for the appropriate
packages to update and I've gotten confused about a couple of points and am
hoping someone can straighten me out.

First off, most packages contain 386 in the filename (I have P3's and P2's
running 6.2). Is it true that unless there's a higher version (686), use a 386
package? Kernel updates seem to have a smaller number of packages, but they all
have 686 in the filename. Are these done in addition to the 386 files, or in
place of them? The directions on the kernel update page don't seem to mention
any thing about the difference, and the book I have says get files for the
particular one you're loading. What about all the other 10 or so packages that
are supposed to be checked when updating the kernel?

I've run into a couple of situations where there are 2 pointers from the
security page to the same file on the download page (the ed links). Is there
any significance to this?

The directions on the kernel update page say to update everything you have
installed first and then do the kernel packages. Is this normal? I've always
just added patches (updates) when they seemed necessary. I suppose if nothing
ever broke...

Anyway, in preparing for that, I ran into the gnupg files. One file is called
gnupg-1.0.4-4.6.x.i386.rpm and another is called gnupg-1.0.4-8.6.x.i386.rpm
(Note the 8). I haven't been able to remember where I read what the second
group of numbers means, but it would seem that the second file would be the
more recent version. Yet, the date on that file is Dec 99, while that of the
first is Oct 2000. Since the security page points to the first, I used that,
but I'd still like to know what's going on here.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Ed Hoeffner
1-271 BSBE