I've had the same errors when trying to compile 2.2.17 and 2.2.18 kernels
from tarballs on my redhat 6.2 system.  i get lots of errors during make
zImage : (after make menuconfig, make dep, and make clean)

/tmp/ccWI7gpw.s:700: Warning: using `%eax' instead of `%ax' due to `l' suffix
{standard input}:1308: Warning: indirect lcall without `*'
pmap_clnt.c:149:47: warning: pasting would not give a valid preprocessing token

the last one happens with floppy.c, svcsock.c, schd.c, xprt.c and others too.

i have a feeling i'm doing something stupid so i can paste the whole
process if that helps..

Thanks for the help,
Jeff