Hello, all.

Today's grand goal is to make SMP work reliably on my test system at home.  I have an IBM PC 365 with two Pentium Pro-200 processors that are within 2 steppings.  When I attempt to compile the generic 2.2.16 or 2.2.17 kernels myself using the SMP how-to, I get a kernel that either will not boot (halts at the "uncompressing the kernel..." message) or boots exactly every other time.

However, installing the Red Hat 2.2.16-SMP-kernel RPM from the Red Hat updates directory produces a 100% reliable system.  Whatever they did in their kernel works for my system.  However, the updates directory doesn't have the source RPM.

Any clues as to how I can find out what they changed so I can reproduce it with a newer kernel, or on a different version of Linux?

Thanks,

--
Carl Patten

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--