I remeber having this exact same problem. As Brady pointed out,
by default sshd wants to use SSH 2. You can configure sshd to try
SSH 1 first, and then SSH 2. Off the top of my head, though, I can't
for the life of me remember how I did that. (sorry!)

> Your client doesn't support SSH 2, only SSH 1. Thus it's a differant
> protocol and PuTTy doesn't like it. I havn't used PuTTy much so I'm not
> sure if you can make it do the ssh2 protocol.
>

> Brady Hegberg wrote:
> >
> > I just downloaded and installed ssh-2.3.0 on a Redhat 6.2 box.  The install
> > seemed to go fine.  I created public and private keys in the home directory
> > of the user I log in as and I made sure sshd is running but I can't seem to
> > connect to it from a windows machine.  I tried using Putty and it pulls up
> > a window then disappears without an error message.  I tried TTSSH and it
> > gives me this error message:  "This program does not understand the
> > server's version of the protocol."
> >
> > I'm an ssh neophyte - can anyone give me a pointer?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brady
>
> --
> Nate Sanders                                    darkskull at IRC (newnet)
> mauvehead at nerp.net                            http://www.damnation.net
> who | grep -i blonde | date; cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount;
> gasp; yes; uptime; umount; sleep	- Unix Is Sexy.

-----
Benjamin Exley
Online Webmaster
The Minnesota Daily