Ben Lutgens wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:13:17AM -0600, fjorn wrote:
> >
> >While I was digging through linuxdocs.org, ran across this for you:
> >
> O.k. all you smart guys, I am aware that it can be done, but common sense will
> tell you that if you want to be comfortable you need at least a Gig. just try
> to install under 200 MB and see how fast you use it up.

Well, I have a DEC Multia running on a 300mb drive running debian with a
minimal development setup and no X.

cal at mp3pig:/mnt/disk/mp3s$ df
/dev/sda4               308407    220369     72123  76% /
/dev/sdb                610876    215446    364396  38% /mnt/disk

Note that Alphas tend to have binaries nearly twice the size of x86. :P

And sdb is my MO drive very slowly filling with mp3s. Mwahaha. Too bad
my crappy 10mbit network is far slower than the drive...

Hmmm. Dunno about all these warnings about not bumping the drive when
its spinning. I want to use it in my car... ;)

And I have a laptop running slackware 7.1 on umsdos without X or devel
taking just under 90mb IIRC. Too lazy to start it up and get a df...

Basically, you have to choose between devel or X, or neither. With slack
you can just barely squeeze the both of them on, and have a minimal
Xterminal or something. But a machine thats going to have a 200mb HD on
it is usually too painful to compile stuff on, (I have far faster
machines to compile stuff on. Well, except for an Alpha with more RAM.
Bleh...) and is probably too painful to run X on either. Heh...