> I have a copy of Running Linux but it does not really discuss pros and cons of
> creating a /boot partition versus just most stuff in /.

Well, the only real reason this was ever done is because of 1024
cylinder weirdness. But thats not a problem on new systems. Until
something similar pops up. Bleh.

The only other reason to do it is because lilo does weird things trying
to boot off a reiserfs partition. I've been lead to believe some people
have gotten it working, but I can't get it to work right. It just skips
the prompt and goes straight to booting the kernel, without handing it
any args... But then a smarter bootloader like GRUB is the 'right' way
to fix it...