On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:07:33AM -0600, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:13:17AM -0600, fjorn wrote:
> >
> >While I was digging through linuxdocs.org, ran across this for you:
> >
> O.k. all you smart guys, I am aware that it can be done, but common sense will
> tell you that if you want to be comfortable you need at least a Gig. just try
> to install under 200 MB and see how fast you use it up.
>
> If all you want is a text console the bare essentials will fit under there,
> but keep in mind that the kernel source is up to 20MB and glibc is like double
> that. no add in vim  (or god forbid emacs), some docs, and system utils and
> you are done dealing.

Yeah it is doable, though, especially if you've got a desktop and/or
network to use it with.  I've got a laptop (thanks Carl!) where the
system related stuff is using only 290 Mb. This laptop has vim, X including
a couple of window managers (though no gnome or KDE stuff), and TeTeX
installed.  A quick test of apt-get remove shows that if I removed
TeTeX, quake, and doom that would go down to 185 Mb.

Sure, 200 MB would be tight, but there are always ways to cut corners.
Compile kernels on another machine, keep only a minimal home directory,
etc.  Just know the limitations, and live with it.

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |