You're really a gem, Ben... not at all an idiot like so many said recently ;)

On Monday 11 December 2000 14:50, you wrote:

> > On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 02:42:33PM -0600, Bill Layer wrote:
> >I'm pretty much out of ideas on this one. Help, anyone?
>
> fuser -n tcp <PORTNUMBER>
> which will give you a pid of a process that's got that port
> ps uw |grep <PID>
> will tell you what app it is.

Ok, it's rpc.mountd that has that port-ola. Rpc.mountd is the kernel NFS
mount daemon. Slack has NFS setup by default, but I don't get why mountd is
using a different port on each machine... In any event:

A couple of notes on the technique you described.

1) The fuser command returns *nothing* in this case, unless run as root. When
as root, I get:

root at Billbob_Linux:~# fuser -n tcp 678
678/tcp:                75

2) the ps -uw | grep (PID) returns this line:

root at Billbob_Linux:~# ps uw | grep 75
root      2027  0.0  0.1  1164  412 pts/1    S    14:58   0:00 grep 75

I don't see a process named here, so I just did ps -e | grep 75 and got:

root at Billbob_Linux:~# ps -e | grep 75
   75 ?        00:00:00 rpc.mountd

So I guess that is mystery solved, onto new question of why rpc.mountd is
using random ports in the 6XX range. NFS is also using port 2049 on each
machine, here is a nmap output:

root at Billbob_Linux:~# nmap localhost

Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor at insecure.org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
(The 1505 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
21/tcp     open        ftp
23/tcp     open        telnet
25/tcp     open        smtp
37/tcp     open        time
79/tcp     open        finger
80/tcp     open        http
110/tcp    open        pop-3
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
113/tcp    open        auth
143/tcp    open        imap2
513/tcp    open        login
514/tcp    open        shell
515/tcp    open        printer
587/tcp    open        submission
678/tcp    open        unknown
1024/tcp   open        kdm
2049/tcp   open        nfs
6000/tcp   open        X11

Web, telnet, ftp, auth are all active on this machine, as I perceive no
threats on this LAN. Correct me if that is bad thinking.

Thanks again, Ben.

===
Bill Layer
<b.layer at vikingelectronics.com>