> Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:56:31 -0600
> From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens at sistina.com>

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2000 at 11:47:00AM -0600, Nate Carlson wrote:
> >On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Ben Lutgens wrote:
> >
> >*firewall*
> >
> On a laptop? What are you smoking?

A laptop is a great platform for a firewall. It's a small PC
with a tiny power supply with built-in UPS so it won't cost
an arm and a leg for electricity if you leave it on all the
time. Add a couple 10mbps NIC's and you've got a great firewall.

You could probably even get all that on a floppy. (Or an
ATA Flash card, but that could take up a NIC slot.)

Let's see... 700W (input, not 300W output) for my regular machine,
versus 30W for the laptop. So that's 670W * 24hr *365 days makes
about 5870kWhr, and at 8.3 cents each, that's almost $500 per year.
So this really only makes sense if you already got an old laptop
sitting around.

Chris