"Andy Zbikowski (Zibby)" wrote:

> http://www.ringworld.org/~zibby/Screenshots/AtWork.jpg
>
> Hey look, I can generate the same effect! :)
>
> To me it looks like they're just running a Windows based X server. Since
> you can't see their windows taskbar this can't really be confirmed.

Well, they _were_ running a Windows X server.  They didn't port the
applications to run through the native Windows GUI, so they need an X
server.  Whether the software is running on the local system or not is
the real question...

> On a similar note, here's my screenshot of IE "ported" to windows.
>
> http://www.ringworld.org/~zibby/Screenshots/Disturbing.png
>
> Now here's the riddle you have to solve: All biniaries on my system are
> linux native. IE isn't running under wine, and the screenshot is not
> doctored in anyway (other than I resised it...)

Hmm..  I have a number of ideas, but I can't say any of them are
anywhere close to being true.  It could be that you're actually running
a native Linux version of IE -- of course that would mean that you just
broke an NDA with Microsoft or someone and are about to get sued into
the ground.  IE could have been converted to a native Linux app through
use of some external program (I'm not aware of any such program for
Linux, though there was a fair amount of work put into a similar utility
for OS/2).

You could just be lying about it running through an emulator.  I know
that I've run Windows apps through Wine on remote machine and had them
display on my local box (just set $DISPLAY appropriately, and it
works..)  You would only have Linux-native apps on your own system in
that case.  The program could also be running natively on a Windows box,
but just the window is being exported, rather than the entire display
(Citrix WinFrame?)

The browser that is running could actually be Mozilla (or another
browser) running in a skin.  You would need to change or remove the
window border for that to work, though doing so is easy when using a
window manager such as Sawfish.

Lastly, you could be merely displaying an image without it being within
a window border.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Double your drive space -