On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 12:16:43AM -0600, fjorn wrote:
> Seems simple enough.  I've only really played around with kppp, and
> just recently within the last couple of days started to learn wvdial
> setup.  Since I don't plan on using X or any windows managers on the
> machine, I'm learning from the ground up on this.  Have had my nose
> in the networking text the past few days some makes sense, others
> require more deciphering.

Yeah!!!  We finally convinced you that learning how things ACTUALLY
work is beneficial!  Anyway, I knew it would only be a matter of time
anyway.

> Still trying to find an answer to my question of if I can auto dial
> using two modems (one internal, one external) simultaneously.
> Looking at the setup, seems like it may be possible given a few
> extra lines.  Hopefully I'm right on that.  Also, need to figure out
> how to configure my internal non-winmodem to work.  Back to the
> books.

Your internal modem needs to be configured at two levels.  If it's
ISA, like most legacy modems, including mine, you must initialize the
card itself with the isapnp tools for the 2.2.x kernels, or you must
use a 2.4.x kernel with built in ISA support.  Next, you must make
sure that you have a dedicated IRQ and I/O port for the serial device
the modem will use.  This means that your modem must have an IRQ of 3
or 4 and an one of the four allowable serial I/O ports.  These serial
ports are set up with the 'setserial' tool.

Essentially, all of this information is in the PPP-HOWTO and other
various HOWTO's and manuals.  Most HOWTO'S and manuals are packaged
with the CD your Linux distribution was on or via the Internet.  You
have a lot of homework ahead of you, especially if you wish to get
MPPP working, the multi-link PPP protocol.  I believe this is
available in the new Pppd and the newer 2.4 kernels.  Have fun, and
remember, google.com is your friend:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=Linux+PPP+Multi-link

--
Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>