In order for them not to get their asses sued, they do send from a legit
address.  The deal is, it's like you suggest: It's only a valid address
when they send the mail.  At the very bottom of most spams, it says
something to the effect of, "The address this mail is sent from is valid as
of the sending of this mail".  So, yeah, they found a loophole in the laws
in the states/countries where bulk emailing is regulated.

Gabe

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 09:03:53PM -0600, Andrew Nemchenko wrote:
> I have a question about spam, you know how the spam comes from some email adress right? for example qxeye at jyrki.com but when you try to send an email to that adress I get an undeliverable response. My question is Is that a reall email adress that becomes active to send the bulk email and then becomes innactive again. Or is that just a fake made up address that they mannaged to forge the email headers with? Or do they just take some poor shmucks adress and use it?
> If what I say offends you then it was probably meant to do so
>

> Andrew Nemchenko
> drew at usfamily.net
> Home: 651-681-8572
> Work: 952-932-4081
> Pager: 612-264-1737
> http://www.kuzmich.cjb.net
>

> ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------

Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    University of Minnesohta
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Ee'm the cat!!"
		- Ren Hoek in "Stimpy's Big Day"