Well,

> > I mean, anything has got to be better than MacOS ;)
>
> Well, OpenBSD and NetBSD are well supported on the 68k Macs, and have been
> for many years.  I'd give one of them a try.

They are; I had NetBSD running on the SE/30 before I tried the Linux fiasco.
One problem remains - there is little or no FPU emulation support for the
Mac68k ports of Linux or BSD. This means that you *need* a system with an FPU
to have a decent Mac-*nix box.

To this end, I've bought a 68040 off of eBay, and I'm going to be 'upgrading'
my Performa 475 from it's 68LC040 (FPU-less) state, so I can run either Linux
or BSD.

--
Bill Layer
Sales Technician