On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Jason J wrote:

> >From your dia diagram your workstation is behind 2 nat's.I would guess you need
> an ip_masq_gabber module similar to ip_masq_icq. Else if your the only one using
> gabber behind both of your nat's then you could port forward through the cisco
> and through your firewall those ports that gabber uses.

My understanding of jabber is that you connect to a server and all messages
are routed through there. There's no client to client connections. The
Gabber client reports that I connect OK, but I never get any notice of other
people's "presence." Presumably that's because those packets originate at
the jabber server (jabber.com in my case) and NAT doesn't know where to
deliver them.

I've done some searching for info about jabber and firewalls, but I'm
finding contradictory information. I'll keep digging unless I hear a
definitive answer from another TCLUGer.

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/