It could. My experience has been that the boot-up ram BIOS test
rarely ever finds RAM problems even when they exist. I've experienced
your problem before due to bad RAM. The system may boot and the
bad portion of RAM may not be used at first, then as files are accessed
and cached in RAM you hit the bad chip and BOOM!!!

Let me know what you find out.

Jason