"Gabe Turner (officer)" wrote:

> I have a PlexWriter 8/20 and it works superbly.  Also, I have to agree with
> Job here: SCSI is the only way to go.  You can get a decent SCSI-II
> controller for < $50.  What I really want though is one of Plextor's
> Ultra-Wide SCSI cdroms.. Man, 40 MB/s... It's so tempting....

I hear you, except I'm thinking of going with Kenwood's 52X TrueX SCSI. =)
6750 - 7800 KB/sec across the entire disc...even more tempting...

What kind of nice SCSI controller can you get for < $50? My SCSI controller
(Adaptec 2940U2W) cost more than my burner. =) Ok, grated it was the best
SCSI card Adaptec offered for a workstation at the time. At least I didn't
pay the MSRP of $400.

As for the burner, I have a SCSI Plexwriter myself (20x read, 8x burn) So
far I haven't coastered a CD (4mb buffer is nice) My room mate on the other
hand managed to coaster one by doing a dist-upgrade while burning. I've
atributed it to user stupidity, and not the fault of the drive.

Basically, don't upgrade your operating system, run vmware, compile a
kernel, encode mp3s, or anything else excessivly processor/harddrive
intensive and it works great. Yes, it's expensive, but the first time you
rip audio from it you'll know it's totally worth it.

And now I have lots of space for CD-images...I'll definitly have to come to
the next install fest... =)

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132