FYI, the 40MB/sec is only the interface speed - it has
nothing to do with the actual CD-ROM speed.  The
Plextor UW 40x CD-ROMs averaged about 24x (20x DAE)
for me - that's about 3.5MB/sec.  Not too fast.  You're better
off with the Kenwood 52x TrueX SCSI CD-ROM, which averages
about 50x (10x DAE) - which is about 7.6MB/sec.

Note that the Kenwood drive is pretty quiet (with 8 lasers, it
spins much slower), whereas the Plextor is quite loud.

Nick Reinking

dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu, on 08/31/2000 08:56:41 AM