> >From what I have read, amanda does seem to be a very popular tape backup
> program - although it is designed for backing up entire networks (rather
> than one PC).   amanda also supports "auto-changers", if you configure it
> to.   I have never set up amanda, but at first glance it looked a bit
> involved.   It's probably not as bad as it looks.

oh, it's as bad as it looks; unless you get the RPMS.
Amanda is not linux-specific; so it tends to install in wierd places (which may make sense under other unices..). documentation on it ends up being a bit sparse.

I'm going to write up a basic howto, based on my experiences setting it up here at Real-Time. right now it's still mostly a jumble of notes. if you want some help tho, I'll be happy to send them to you (tho making heads or tails of them may be a bit troublesome).

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises