A frame T-1 is ~ $350 / month for the local loop, $50 / month for your
first PVC, and whatever the internet access costs are (usually $800 or
$1000 for a full T-1 frame)

Point-to-point is $300 - $400 / month for the local loop (paid by the
mile) plus $1000-$1800 for the internet service (we charge $1200)

Fractional DS-3 is < $2000 / month for the local loop plus $150 for each
1MB increment.  The internet access is going to vary greatly between
ISP's.  A 3MB DS-3 will probably cost $1500 + $300 (loop plus 3MB VC) +
2000-2500 / month for internet access.

A $1000 router and $500 CSU/DSU will handle a frame or p-t-p T-1.

You can run a DS-3 off of a $4000 router.  But the cheaper routers capable
of handling a DS-3 won't generally handle full internet routes.  If you're
going to multihome and take full routes you'll want a 7000 series.

Incidentally, a 2500 series Cisco will handle 2 point-to-points or frame
circuits (or a combo of the 2) and has the processing power to push full
bandwidth on both.  They're about $1500.  A Digital Link CSU/DSU is $550
new, and handles 1 T-1.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications