> The Dell server I have (PowerEdge 2400) has a PERC RAID controller. It is
> made by Adaptec and as far as I know, the driver is still binary only.
> This limits your ability to upgrade your kernel when you feel like it
> since you have to have a perc.o module that matches your kernel.
>
> However, it is supported rather well.  It works nicely.  It doesn't
> interface via /proc though.  It has a command-line utility that allows you
> to configure your raid setup.

thanks Tom; that's the kind of information I needed.

> I've alreay sent one letter to Dell/Adaptec complaining about the binary
> only thing.  I haven't checked recently that they released the source yet
> but I have heard rumers that they were going to.

I talked to another salesdroid this morning, and he said that he doesn't know anything about that; and even if he did it would be confidential information that we'd have to sign an NDA for.
Maybe I'm paranoid but NDAs make me suspicious... like they don't actually have anything to hide, but they want you to believe that they do. ;)

> Overall I'm happy with it but the binary only thing took me by complete
> suprise (and not a very happy suprise either).  I ordered it with Dell's
> RedHat 6.2 pre-installed so I can't tell you how much fun it was to
> install.

how good was their stock install? around here we pretty much always reformat & reinstall everything.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises