Adam Maloney said:
> If you're seeing 256k downloads you probably can only get 256k DSL,
> because US-West isn't rate shaping anymore (unless VISI is).

I'm fairly sure that Visi is.  My 675 reports that it trains at 640k.

> I'm certainly not saying that having more bandwidth is bad,

I don't think we have any kooks around here that would try making that
claim...

> but why pay an
> extra $25 / month to US-West for 512k if you can still train at 512 with a
> 256k DSL line?

Even though I'm 'only' getting 256k out of my 256k connection, I wouldn't do
it.  For me, the primary benefit of DSL isn't an ultra-fat pipe, but rather
the always-on feature.  It's fast enough to load web pages and handle ssh
sessions without any undue delays.  A faster connection would be nice - web
pages pop up a little quicker (maybe - I have a slow video card in this box),
my once-in-a-blue-moon large downloads speed up - but not even close to being
worth the extra cost.  Maybe enough to justify a 10% increase in cost.
Certainly not worth doubling it.

I'm not disagreeing with any of your points - some people don't have any rate
shaping being done to them and a WAN is only as fast as its slowest link -
but there are other reasons for not wanting to buy a faster line.  (Well, OK,
I am disagreeing with one of them:  Your statement that you aren't likely to
saturate a 256k line.)

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+