You need to put a local e-mail address in angle brackets after the ruleset
number.

> 3 <root at thishost.veldy.com>
> 0 <root at thishost.veldy.com>

it should give you something like:
Parse1	returns: $# local...

Going through ruleset 3 first will return the e-mail address to send to
ruleset 0 after it's checked through aliases, virtusertable and all that
other stuff.  If you're just testing username at localhost you don't need
that though.

If it says that it's going to use the local mailer ($# local) then do:

grep "^Mlocal" /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and make sure that the definition for
the local delivery agent is correct.  It'll probably be looking to use
procmail, so you can test it directly by piping a message right to it.

Here's my definition on whee.org:
Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9,
S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,

make sure /usr/bin/procmail exists, then see if you can get procmail to
deliver to a local mailbox.  Maybe something as simple as a perm problem
in /var/spool/mail or something.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications