Are you sure local-host-names is a flat text file and not supposed to be a
keyed database?

If you do:
sendmail -bt
> 3 <root at your.machine.com>
> 0 <root at your.machine.com>

Do you get any more useful information?  (use EOF to end test mode)

see  http://www.telekomnet.com/writer_allan/8-1-00_isp_104.asp by yours
truly.  I checked my facts by doing it under Linux, so it should work
perfectly.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications