> > message=/boot/message
>
> Commenting out the message option won't hurt anything. It's an motd like
> option. You can allo comment out prompt. With that option commented out,
> you'll have to hit shift when LILO prints to boot anything but the default.

right -- on first pass, I didn't note the message line. It's easy to
comment or delete. Or I likely substitute a sensible /boot/message file.

> Timeout is in seconds, adjust to fit.

10ths of seconds, no?
so  `timeout=50' means 5 secs.

> cat /boot/message to see what the heck it is. =)

did that, of course lots of goo, along the lines of

You get the idea. It's curious to me that it's not identified to the
"file" command. However, ImageMagick's "display" does know what to do with
it, and it is indeed the suspect image, at 320x200 resolution.

Alas, a more careful read of the lilo.conf could have avoided this thread.

Andy