On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 06:13:05PM -0500, Mike Hicks wrote:
> Jim Crumley wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is a hot key sequence for changing
> > color depth in XFree86?  In other words, is there an equivalent
> > to control-alt-+/- (which changes resolution)? Or do I have
> > to restart the xserver whenever I change color depth?
>
> AFAIK, you cannot change the color depth of a running server.  There are
> some servers that can run with multiple color depths (ie 8 and 24) (it
> doesn't seem like this would be all that hard though..), but I'm not
> sure if XFree can do that (it would probably only be a 4.x thing).

I hope it is fixed in XFree 4.0.x .  I am running Debian with 3.3.6,
but I'll 4.0 a try once the debs get into unstable.

I looked into the problem a little more and it turns out that the
xservers shipping with most commercial Unixes don't have this
problem. They do allow multiple color depths.  (Take a look
at the output of xdpyinfo on Linux and compare it to the output
from a commercial Unix.)  This is one of
the reasons that the application (IDL) has gotten away with
having this bug so long. So I added my name to a petition to fix this
problem for Linux users.

> However, you can run more than one X server at a time.  Just get to a
> command line and run
>
> `X -bpp 8 :1'  (XFree 3.x)
>
> or
>
> `X -depth 8 :1'  (XFree 4.x)
>
> Then, set your $DISPLAY variable with `export DISPLAY=:1.0' and run an
> application (you may have to jump around between virtual consoles with
> CTRL-ALT-F<n>)

Yeah I may have to try that, though wasting memory on an extra
X server is more than a little annoying.

> > I have an application that only runs in 8 or 24 bit, but I like
> > to run in 16 bit.  8 bit is just ugly (too many apps steal
> > too many colors) and 24 bit is streaky with either the SVGA
> > or S3V xservers and my video card/monitor
> > at the resolutions I like to run at (1024x768 or 1152x864).
>
> I should ask if you're using up-to-date servers or not.  It may be a bug
> that has been fixed (maybe).

Yeah the servers are up to date, and its a known shortcoming of XFree
3.3.  I'll check into 4.0.

Thanks for the info.

--
Jim Crumley                  |