> I get great response times from the archive at ftp.cs.wisc.edu.  It's
> not exactly local, but I think it's better than umich.

Most paths there go via Chicago anyway, since wisc.edu is connected via
OC3 to bbnplanet.net. If you're at the U, or going through MR.net, you'll
hve a more direct link to uiuc.edu, although I don't remember where the
public site is and have no clue whether they've ever had debs.

In any case, don't be overly reliant on geography to indicate topological
nearness. You may get better performance to Sunsite in London than to
another site in TC.

Andy