Ken wrote:

> Thanks for the pointers.
>
> You mentioned inetd.  'Splain Lucy.  I went to /usr/sbin and found
> inetd.  I tried running it in terminal both as user and root but all I
> got was some noise on the HDD and then another command line.  I tried
> the computer find stuff again on both Dozers and they still couldn't
> find the Linux box.

inetd is a deamon that runs at boot (you shouldn't have to start it) IT
listens on different ports (ftp, samba ports, whatever) and if something
connects to that port, it starts the deamon. It kills off the deamon as
soon as the connection goes away. The idea is that you only need the
services running when someone connects to them.

You haven't been clear on what kind of network you're working with.
Cable/DSL? All internal? That info could help. Can the windows boxes see
eachother? What is the configuration of the windows boxes network? (run
winipcfg for 9x, ipconfig in a command shell for NT/2000)

--
        \\\|///