^chewie wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 03:37:21PM -0500, Alicia Larson wrote:
> > Where can I find a list of RH 6.2 compatible modems?  Their site
> > seems funky when searching for them.
>
> bash$ vim rant.c
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <assert.h>
> #include "distro.h"

How are we souposed to compile this if you don't give us distro.h?!? =)

Anyway, RedHat likes to advertise themselves in the fashion "We're the
beginning, the end, and the chewey center of linux." Beyond the kernel,
there is no Linux. Yes friends, after the kernel, there is software that
runs under Linux.

So, the correct question would be: What modems does the Linux Kernel
version X.X.XX support? And the short answer is, any hardware modem. The
longer answer is, your best bet is an external modem. (fun rant site:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/ ) Second best bet is to disable one of
your onboard serial ports and set your internal modem to be that serial
port. If you have a ISA PNP modem, you'll probally have to disable PNP
and set the jumpers yourself or use isapnp tools. If it's a PCI modem,
get down on your knees and pray to the whatever computer diety you
belive in. The modem might work, but I haven't tried one, and probally
never will. (yay cable modem!)

--
        \\\|///