Mmmmm...it is perhaps unfortunate, but from my days doing level I/II tech support for an ISP,
I have to say your chances aren't great with a 3Com/USR internal.   If you could tell us
what specific model it is, and whether it's PCI or ISA, that would help.  Meanwhile, I'll
keep looking for that Table of All Modems and Their Winmodem/non-Windmodem Status that I
used to use about 15 times a day back in the bad old tech support days...I'll post the
link if I find it. :)

 Chris H. Bidler                                   cbidler at talkware.net
 Associate Engineer, Applications Group
 Universal Talkware Corp.

 "In any event, is a O^(log N) search that returns the wrong answer
  really better than an O^N search that returns the right answer?"