On Tuesday, August 15, 2000, Perry Hoekstra <dutchman at uswest.net> wrote:

> Jim Crumley wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 04:31:15AM -0500, Perry Hoekstra wrote:
> > >
> > > I seem to have somehow horked up my mouse.  If I used /dev/psaux in
> > > XF86Config, the mouse pointer just sits there, no movement.  If I use
> > > /dev/mouse, then the mouse flies around almost at random.
> > >
> > > I did a ps-ef and saw /usr/sbin/gpm -m /dev/psaux -t ps2 -Rms3
> > >
> > > So I know the mouse interface manager is up.  How would I know if I have
> > > started a process that is interfering with gpm?
> >
> > You might want to uninstall gpm (dpkg -r gpm).  You are supposed
> > to be able to run gpm and X with your mouse at the same time, but
> > I've had problems with it before.  And if you don't use your
> > mouse in virtual consoles (I don't), then you don't need gpm.
>
> That did it, I am back in business.  I thank you sir!

I just stumbled on this problem too, over the weekend.  Rather than
uninstalling gpm (which had some other dependencies IIRC), you can do

  update-rc.d -f gpm remove

This will remove all the gpm links from /etc/rc.d*.  The -f allows you
to do it without deleting your /etc/init.d/gpm script, in case you ever
want to restart gpm by hand.  You can restore the rc.d links later with

  update-rc.d gpm defaults

Cheers,
John

--