It could mean that they do not route VPN-specific protocols over their
backbone (proto 47, et. al.).  I highly doubt this is true, unless they're
interested in reselling a proprietary value-add to their service.  On the
other hand, they may simply not want to answer every end-user's questions
about their homebrew VPN problems.

Peter Lukas