> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ben Lutgens [mailto:blutgens at sistina.com]
> Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 12:52 AM
> To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
> Subject: Re: [TCLUG:20324] Redhat workstation blocking tcp/ip requests?

Thanks Ben,

My biggest problem has been trying to connect to Interbase.  There is
nothing blocking it in the /etc/hosts.deny or /etc/hosts.allow files.  I
didn't know about these files until a minute ago when I read a couple of
other posts from a couple of other nice folks on this list.

There is an entry for it in the inetd.conf file.  When I connect using isql
(a little query client that ships with Interbase) from a Win2k machine, here
is the output:

<isql>
SQL> CONNECT CARTER:/opt/interbase/examples/employee.gdb;
Statement failed, SQLCODE = -902

Unable to complete network request to host "CARTER".
-Failed to establish a connection.
-No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused
it.
</isql>

I get the same result with the Linux version of isql except the last line
says

"-Connection refused" instead of "-No connection could be made because the
target machine actively refused
it." but that is basically the same as far as I am concerened.

Mark

Mark Theiste
markt at logicworksinc.com
Logicworks, Inc.