mjn wrote:

> So does anyone have a non-sarcastic suggestion to my user administration
> query?
>
> The original question was something like this:
>
> I have a few users who need access to some virt web server directories for
> dev purposes.  I would like to give them all access without forcing them
> to pickup some new commands and would also like to eliminate their
> "need" for root access which the last admin granted them...
>
> How is this sort thing typically done?  Just through different gids? or
> what?

Depends on what they need root access for. For example, xcdroast runs
fine as a normal user, but it isn't very useful since the mkisofs and
related tools need to be run as root. Of course, I wasn't going to give
my little brother full root access. sudo is a great tool. Users can run
commands with full root access, but only commands you specify. They also
don't need to know the root password, they just have to remember theirs.
(or you can use the no password option)

If they don't really need root access, creating a group is useful. Make
a group, and add the users to that group, and change the group
owndership of what they need (files, home directories) to that group.
Set the group permissions accordinly, and you should be set.

Be careful though, I haven't figured out how to set up vi to run under
sudo without giving the option to open a shell inside of vi. (I'm sure
it's possible though...)

--
        \\\|///