On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 07:49:03AM -0500, Andy Zbikowski wrote:

>> Can you do a network install of Debian?
>> If so, can I do it from a laptop?
>>

>If you like RedHats network install, you'll love Debian's. The current
>boot disks default to http to get the base system. From memory, you will
>need the root disk, the rescue disk, and all three driver disks for
>PCMICA.

or you can go to ftp.kando.hu/pub/CD-Images and get the potato netinstall
image and burn it to a CD. It's 20 megs and makes a great bootable install
set.

>Once you have gotten through those, it will go off and fetch the
>base2_2.tgz and unpack it. (Really, it's less painful than creating 13
>or so disks)

That is a real pain.

>Now you have enough to run dpkg, dselect, and apt-get. these tools will
>get all the software you should need. Good luck.

Actually after it has you reboot the newly installed kernel and modules, it'll
begin the ßtecond stage of the install script. There is a series of questions
you'll have to answer than you will  be driopped into either dselect or
tasksel. Experienced users use dselect and search for the app they want and
let dselect worry about depends for them. New Debianites may want to use
tasksel to get going and dselect once all that install is done to finish up.

Personally I like debian's install method, but I think certain portions of it
need to be cleaned up. For example, try and install debian on a Sony Vaio
Super Slim. They only have a USB floppy and PCMCIA CDROM. And sonce no install
kernels support USB, once the initrd is loaded and the BIOS' job is done, you
can't read the floppy at all. As for the CDROM, unless the kernel had built-in
pcmcia support and the initrd had cardmgr stuff in it, it's useless too.

When I get time I am going to build a custom rescue/root disk for the vaios.

--
Ben Lutgens  Work: 612.379.5941 Cell: 651.387.9065  Home: 651.703.9541
Systems Administrator Sistina Software Inc. http://www.globalfilesystem.org/