On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 12:59:36PM -0500, tim wrote:
> hostname:/home/tim# apt-get install ssh Reading Package Lists...
> Done Building Dependency Tree... Done E: The package majordomo needs
> to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
>
> How do I make apt forget about majordomo?  I don't need it
> whatsoever.  --

You can remove a package with apt-get using `apt-get remove
<pkgname>' if you want apt-get to parse out all the dependencies for
you.

Remember, apt is built on top of dpkg. *hint hint*  If you type the
following, what do you get?

    bash# dpkg -l

You will most likely see something like:

ii  a2ps           4.13b-2        GNU a2ps 'Anything to PostScript' converter

To uninstall a partially installed or installed package, use the
following:

    bash# dpkg --remove <packagename>
or
    bash# dpkg --purge <packagename>

"--remove" simply removes the package binaries and libraries, whereas
"--purge" removes EVERYTHING associated with this package.  Now, if
you run into dependency errors, like "<package 2> depends on
<package>...cannot be removed", add <package 2> to your dpkg --remove
command.  Repeat until you've satisfied the dependency requirements.

HINT HINT... RTFM!  It's all in the man pages...

--
Chad "^chewie" Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>
        http://wookimus.net/chewie