> this seems a bit kludgy, tho. can anyone think of a better way to do it?
> I had to chmod /var/log/messages to be group-readable to make this work.

Kinda [OT] but still related, I made a discovery last night that I was
hoping would never happen.  Since RedHat 4.0, I've always built my dialup
connections by running netcfg under X.  I created a PPP device, pointed it
at /dev/modem, assigned it my static IP from my ISP, ifup ppp0'd, and poof
it worked.  Last night I installed Redhat Pinstripe, and when I run netcfg
the PPP option is no longer there (although SLIP is, go figure).  How can I
set up a ppp0 without using netcfg?  I want a commandline based dialup (AKA
not Kppp) and I'm not sure how to set it up without netcfg.  Can anyone give
me some pointers?

-Bian