On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Brian wrote:

> >On a related note, just tried burning a Red Hat Pinstripe CD. It >won't
> >fit...
>

> I wish someone could explain to me how a 665 MB image fit onto a 650 MB CD.
> All my CDs are 650 and even though I was positive it wouldn't work, it did.
> Especially strange is that the drive I used has been known to "imagine" data
> on a blank CD and refuse to write, claiming there wasn't enough space.

A CD actually hold close to 2.4 GB of *raw* data.  The error correction is
a *humongous* over head.  (An audio CD is actually 750MB or so of data.)
Some blank CD's have a tighter track pitch than others, so there may
indeed be CDs that won't work.  And I believe that the 650MB is a pretty
conservative number.

Cheers,
Phil Mendelsohn
(the math guy formerly known as Chief Engineer, Hotdish Mastering!) ;)

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math