* ^chewie <chewie at wookimus.net> [000807 08:27]:
> would say that Amanda is the best bet.  Use tar, and forget about dump
> (it really sucks).  SAMBA may not be the nicest way to backup Windoze

Being a user of amanda and at a large installation with many different
archs running the 'dump' method of amanda...

I think the dump method *is* the way to go.  All you gotta do to restore
from tape then is to pipe the filesystem off the tape from amrestore to
restore and then 'add' and 'extract' the files in the blinky interactive
shell.  With the tar method you either need to make two passes, or know
the filename first.

My $.02
--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> #nicnac at efnet