On Sun, Aug 06, 2000 at 09:35:04PM -0500, Mike Nielsen wrote:

>Any idea's why the swap priority makes a difference???

I am no expert on swap fs but i'll take a whack. Most people feel that
aggresive preemptive  swapping is good. Thus the -1 priority. My guess is that
there is a bug in your kernel with kswaps d when SMP stuff is enabled. Setting
the priority to -3 makes it wait to swap untill more RAM is being used. I am
of the opinion that if you have ample RAM 256MB PCI 100 in my case, the swap
should rarely be used. Disk I/O will slow a machine down faster than anything
(drive and controller type dependant) so why use swap before it's really
needed. On my laptop (Sony vaio super slim) if it starts swapping, you are
through working for a few minutes, while the pitiful little box hangs and
pukes. Once the disk I/O subsides it's business as ususal.

I should take the time to find out why my disk I/O is so hard on the little
laptop. it's a PII600 with 128MB RAM, maybe the IDE controller in it sucks.

just my .02. I know I didn't offer a solution, but I am no kernel hacker.
Maybe poke around on the kernel list archives?
--
Ben Lutgens  Cell: 651.387.9065  Home: 651.703.9541

Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (T)hrowup