Try snd.  It comes from the CCRMA at Stanford.  It's probably overkill,
but almost gives you the power of Sonic Solutions -- the commercial
digital audio system I used to use for CD Pre-Mastering.  Interestingly,
there are many similarities in the user interface, which leads me to
suggest that it was borrowed from heavily, since the lead engineer at
Sonic did his doctoral work at Stanford...

Cheers,

Phil

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> Okay, is it just me or is there no wav editors for X that have even the
> most basic functionality, and will work with large files? Its insane. I
> occasionally need to trim mp3's before burning to CD, and rebooting to
> Windows to do it really sucks. Cooledit is hella cool though...

Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math