On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Ben Lutgens wrote:

> I have some machines at work that are Running AlphaPC 164LX mother boards and
> (I believe) 264 alpha processors. One of the Motherboards is bad (I think) and
> would like to purchase a replacement. I have next to 0, well o.k. 0 experience
> with alpha architecture and am having a hell of a time find such an animal.
> The alpha-processor.com website says the board is discontiued.... Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

The 164LX is a 21164 MB.  I *think* all of the 21264 processors have a
slot design (maybe not early ones?)

> Oh yeah and the reason I (we) think the mobo is bad is on boot it won't POST.
> Sometimes it beeps sometimes not. When it does it gives 6 beeps and according
> to the book this is an error code which sounds to me like it can't load the
> BIOS image from the ROM chip. I can't remember the exact wordage of it.

One very nice thing about Alpha systems is that most all of them support
serial consoles right out of the box.  It's called debug monitor mode.
The usually go to this is something isn't right.  You can force it by
booting without a keyboard plugged in.

I used may laptop and minicom to get mice going (I tried to change the
boot to the SRM console to use UNIX before I installed the ROM image)

I would suggest plugging in a terminal (9600 8,N,1) and see what's coming
out.  You can reflash the ROM from there too, and do a memory test.  I
wish PCs had something like that.

Charlie